Best Embroidery machines for home business: Ultimate Guide and Picks
Wondering if you can initiate an embroidery-based startup business? If you have skills, machinery, and a place, then why not?
Home embroidery business is getting very competitive with lots of well-established players and countless new startups emerging every day.
To breakthrough this market, you need to have a good quality machine.
It's always better to get a multi-needle machine for business, but those are quite expensive and are out of the range of most startups.
Thankfully, lots of high-quality single needle machines are available that can get you started at a low budget.
Choices are endless if you're a beginner or an entrepreneur looking to expand or start a business.
Picking the best embroidery machine for the home business can be overwhelming.
In this article, as promised, we have hand-picked the best embroidery machines for home business for you. After extensive research, we have summed this list.
According to many business owners, home-based embroidery businesses fail due to a lack of proper machinery. Since embroidery is a machine-based craft, having a sturdy, good quality embroidery machine will prove to be a boon.
Below you will see reviews for a few of the best home embroidery machines for home business use.
For beginners-Brother PE800 has replaced the XL-400
Update: We now don't recommend the Singer Futura XL-400. Most people are not happy with XL-400
People are loving Brother PE800. If you are a beginner embroiderer, then get the PE800. Scroll down to read about it.
Click here to check the price of the Brother PE800 at Amazon.
See PE800 at www.sewingmachinesplus.com
Here are the pros and cons of Xl-400 which we had discussed before this update:
Although we don't recommend it, it still has all the primary standard and modern features.
- 30 built-in stitches.
- 125 built-in embroidery design stitches and five lettering fonts.
- It can read files in many different formats such as PES, XXX, HUS, JEF, DST, SHV, CHE, PCS, etc.
- The largest hoop size for the embroidery is 10x6 inches. With the multi-hooping, you can embroider up to 12x20 designs.
- No LCD screen on the machine.
Standard features include:
- Two-step fully automatic buttonhole stitch.
- Automatic needle threader.
- Fast and easy to use, drop, and sew bobbin system.
- Six LED lights.
You can use any embroidery thread and create your designs. This machine is perfect for beginners.
You'll get the same design as you see on your computer screen.
There are many benefits of being computerized, such as resizing a design, combine multiple designs to create a new design, accomplishing lettering embroidery, and so on.
Despite all the excellent features, XL-400 has fallen short of expectations of many people. So, don't buy it.
For beginners and intermediates - Brother PE800
Brother PE800 (review) is a dream machine with many design amenities for an embroiderer.
- Beautiful 138 built-in embroidery designs and 11 lettering fonts.
- You can also design quilts on this machine.
- Color touch LCD for you to view your design and amend it if required.
- 14 different border designs.
- USB slot for importing designs.
- Ten different frame shapes.
- The working area could have been bigger than 5x7-inch.
- You can purchase, upload, or edit your designs(basic editing features available on the machine).
- It comes with a detailed handy instruction manual.
- You get the auto needle threader and dust cover.
- The embroidery hoop is the must, and you get one 5" x 7" hoop with this.
Click here to check the price of the Brother PE800 at Amazon.
See at www.sewingmachinesplus.com
Industrial advance machine - Janome 12000 Embroidery and Sewing Machine
Janome Horizon Memory Craft is a beast that any large business will be happy to own.
It has the 11-inch space to the right side of the needle and 15-inch long surface that provide ample workspace for bigger projects.
It is a long-arm embroidery and sewing machine.
- It is a large, sturdy, and stable computerized machine.
- It comes with an Acufeed system that helps in movements of multiple layers with precision.
- You can create your stitches from scratch.
- A big touch screen for smooth operation which makes creating and editing designs straightforward.
- 425 built-in stitches.
- Large throat.
- At 30.2 lbs, it's not easy to move around.
- Its adjustable knee lift is fantastic for hassle-free operations.
- This machine is built for quilting, embroidery, and sewing purpose. So, if you are a quilter and an embroiderer, then it’s a dream machine for you.
- You don’t always have to modify stitch designs when you’re given an option to create your stitch from scratch.
- Two handy measurements printed on the machine, one on the stainless steel bed and one on the front of the machine.
- It is a heavy-duty option for people who want to use it for multiple purposes. You can sew, design, decorate fabrics, and quilts many types of fabrics on it easily.
Oh my Gosh! Tell me what is not appealing about this machine.
Check the price of the Janome 12000 Horizon Memory Craft at Amazon.
Compact machine – EverSewn Hero 400-Stitch Sewing Machine
In these times, you cannot deny the fact that space has become a luxury. If all you got a small work area, and you are a beginner embroider, then go for this EverSewn – Hero embroidery machine.
It is one of the best embroidery machines for small home-based budget business. You can reach masses with this machine. It is not only compact but a frugal machine for your business.
- It comes with extensive 400+ decorative designs, sewing stitches, and letter stitches.
- You can embroider design for the size up to 110 x 170 (mm).
- 7mm stitch width size.
- 40 built-in embroidery stitches.
- Free-arm space of 163mm.
- The workspace of 6.5 inches is not that big.
Features and Benefits:
- The 800 Stitches per minute speed is good enough for the price and needs of a home business.
- With the help of a USB port, you can add designs from your computer.
- The best thing is you can also sew clothes on this machine but be cautious; it is an embroidery machine and not an industrial machine. So, don’t try to sew leather and canvas.
- Ten different buttonhole stitches.
- Automatic needle threader.
- Needle up/down button.
Check the availability and price of the EverSewn Hero at Amazon.
Designer machine - Brother dz820e(Discontinued)
Update: Brother has discontinued this machine.
If you're opening an embroidery designer boutique, then, what better machine to choose than Brother's Designer machine – Dz820e.
This machine, in itself, is a thread artist.
- Built-in memory card and USB slots.
- It comes with multiple accessories such as – 5x7-inch Embroidery hoop, 4x4-inch hoop, and what better than a small pocket hoop sized 2.5x1-inch hoop.
- CD containing 200 embroidery designs.
- Includes many standard features such as; needle threader, LCD screen automatic machine, easy to use bobbin system, and many more.
- The biggest hoop is only 5x7.
Benefits of included accessories:
- It comes with many accessories, which means you'll need to stock up the fabric and start sewing.
- Cleaning brush provided with the packaging ensures you can clean your lint formation easily — no thread clogging, as seen in many embroidery machines.
- A seam ripper to rip seams off.
- You also get a large spool cap to prevent your spool from falling off.
Which one should I choose? The best embroidery machine for home business
If money is not an issue, then Janome 12000 is by far the best embroidery machine for home business (Via Amazon).
If you are on a budget, then go with EverSewn Hero (Amazon link). It's suitable for budget home startups, and you can sew with it as well.
However, most people will choose Brother PE800 (Amazon link). It's the best embroidery machine for small businesses. See at www.sewingmachinesplus.com
Since PE800 offers you more embroidery stitches and overall better embroidery machine than the Singer Futura and EverSewn, but costs a little bit more than those two.
Guide to choosing home-based embroidery machine:
If you are on the look to purchase the best embroidery machine for small businesses, then you’ll need to answer a few questions to make your purchase a success.
How much space you have?
Machines do vary in shapes and sizes. Most of the home business machines are of average machine size, but you need to consider this while weighing your options.
You don't want to buy a machine that is not going to fit on your work table.
What kind of embroidery business you have or planning to have?
If you are in a monogramming business, then you need to invest in a machine that can handle monogramming.
Consequently, if you are a hat and caps manufacturer, then having a machine fully optimized to create hats and caps will be beneficial. Yes, they do sell machines explicitly engineered for hats and caps.
If you are an embroiderer by profession and want to run professional errands, then you need to seek and purchase a good embroidery machine.
Ultimately you should focus on your target market in the embroidery business. So, your investment of time and money is paid off.
What kind of fabric you'll be dealing with in your home business?
Understand that; not all machines can handle all fabrics. Focus on the fabrics you’ll be using frequently and vouch for that embroidery machine.
Understand your average embroidery business hoop requirements
You should lookout for a machine that comes with the desired hoop.
However, if you are not getting a machine that can take a bigger design, you need to get yourself comfortable working with the split design and repositioning of the hoop. It's time-consuming, but it's worth it.
Pay attention to – What's the turnaround demand?
If you have a demanding customer base, then you might need to get access to an efficient embroidery machine like a multi-needle embroidery machine.
However, if you are testing waters with a new startup, then initiating business with an inexpensive embroidery machine will be a good idea. As for home-embroiderer, single needle machines will work just fine.
Cost efficiency – Investing in a home-based embroidery business?
The most significant investment in your embroidery business will be your “Embroidery machine.”
On average, it can cost you from 400 to 10,000 dollars. You’ll need to set a budget and invest in the right embroidery machine after calculating the points mentioned earlier and also other crucial points you can think of.
The last thing you want is to buy the $10,000 machine when you are starting.
I would recommend getting a low budget machine for your home business, and as you flourish, upgrade it to advanced machinery.
In today’s digital era, it is wise to invest in a good quality digital, automatic, and computerized machines. Many consumers walk in with designs that can be hard to create on their own.
If you own a computerized machine that can read USB or a card reader, then it will be easy to create advanced designs on a computer with embroidery software and transfer it to your machine.
It's of paramount importance since the home-based venture requires you to have the ability to make your custom design with the help of digitizing software.
Don't neglect the cost of other stuff:
Besides the machine, you'll have to spend on software, digitizer, thread, stabilizers, special hoops, needles, and fabrics. These additional costs add up quickly. You may end up realizing that machine cost was only the tip of the iceberg.
It's a good idea to set a budget for everything in advance.
Think futuristically – Have you created a Business plan that includes an expansion plan?
While strategizing your business moves, a survey plays an essential role, and so does advertising.
There are a million ways to find out what your neighborhood or your city wants. Create word-to-mouth advertising and gain popularity.
Embroidery never goes out of fashion, and there are many ways you can plan an expansion of the business.
Embroidery is not a skill; rather, it is a gift, you have to be born with a flair for art, and you can maximize your world with the help of these machines.
In this article, we have covered multiple machines keeping in mind for each category of people.
If you have any doubts and reviews on any specific product, you can drop a comment below.